Our third annual Jump Conference took place on Saturday 18th March 2017! This was another great conference where God was doing some amazing things. Our theme was ‘Jump Into Action’, where we thought about outreach and mission with our brilliant main speaker, Lucy Moore, the founder of Messy Church. Our new venue, Sheddocksley Baptist Church, was wonderful too and many thanks go to all the team there who helped make the event happen. Check back later for photos and recordings of the talks in case you missed them!
Main Session Talks
Lucy Moore spoke in our main sessions, and here is a look at what she was chatting about:
- Main Session 1: Jumping for Joy:
- What we’re learning about mission and ministry with families from Messy Churches.
- Main Session 2: Jumping in at the Deep End… and at the Shallow End:
- What’s Messy discipleship all about?
Block 1: 11:45am-12:30pm
- Creatively Communicating with Primary-Aged Children (Chris Watt/Carol Hutchinson, Out of the Box): This practical workshop will give you ideas on how to creatively share the Gospel with primary aged children using puppets, music and drama. An opportunity to learn some new skills, discover resources and share ideas.
- Engaging Kids in Mission (Donna Mack, Compassion UK): What can we do at home or at church to help children engage in mission locally and nationally? Practical ideas to help you as you encourage children to JUMP into action!
- Faith in the Home (Gill Lyth, Care for the Family): Parents are their children’s biggest influencers, but many don’t know where to start. With only 50% of the children of Christian parents growing up with a personal faith of their own as adults, we need to enable Christian parents to nurture their children’s spirituality. So, how do we do this? In this workshop, we will be looking at how parents can nurture their child’s faith at home, and how can we, the church, whether in our role as church workers, volunteers or teachers, support and equip parents to do this. Come along to be inspired and encouraged, as we learn more about nurturing the faith of the children we work with or parent.
Block 2: 1:30pm-2:00pm
- ‘Overcoming Obstacles’ Panel Discussion (Lucy Moore, Chris Watt, Simon Dennis): Obstacles occur all the time in ministry, but they shouldn’t cause us to lose hope! Come and hear good news stories of overcoming challenges, and ask your own questions to our panel.
- Quick-fire Quiz Ideas (Sue Thomson, St. Columba’s Church of Scotland): Come and learn how you can use quizzes in your ministry. Leave with lots of fun ideas ready to try out.
- Time Out with God (Gerry & Jo Bowyer, Street Pastors): Are you feeling worn-out, exhausted, or stressed? In this session, Gerry & Jo will lead a short devotional before leaving time for discussion and both group and individual prayer. A space to be prayed for and encouraged in your ministry.
Block 3: 2:00pm-2:45pm
- Messy Values (Lucy Moore, Founder of Messy Church): Adding value to your Messy Church session – using the five Messy values to make your Messy Church even better, with lots of opportunity for questions, answers, and story-sharing.
- Schools Outreach (Patrick Sullivan, Christian Values in Education Scotland): In this session, Patrick will be sharing some ideas about how we can nurture good relationships with our local schools, creating opportunities for outreach and ministry! Whether you’re a children’s worker, a volunteer or a parent, this seminar will encourage and equip you to be a Christian voice in your local school.
- Parent & Toddler Groups: The Community Outreach Connection (Anna Riach, Sheddocksley Baptist Church): Sharing ideas on how to build a successful community outreach through parent and toddler groups. It doesn’t need to be high tech, or have lots of pizazz … but it’s so effective! Building favour, connection and trust with your local families. It’s easy to share the love of Christ!